I love fitness and all things fitness related, but Crossfit is my passion! I can’t begin to describe to you that euphoric feeling of lifting something heavy, sweat pouring down my back, and music blaring as people around you scream and cheer you on. It’s in those moments I have found my limits; only to find them again and push past them. Crossfit is different from other training styles, in that, it is a combination of both heavy cardiovascular endurance and strength. We push ourselves physically because we love our bodies, but it’s important to take care of our bodies both inside and outside of the box. Below is a list of supplements I have found beneficial to my progress in Crossfit and why they are helpful.
1. Multivitamin. Vitamins help promote overall general health. I recommend a sports vitamin or a vitamin targeted towards an active lifestyle. I take the Opti-Women multivitamin by Optimum Nutrition. This also comes in a male version, Opti-Men.
2. Fish Oil. Fish oil has shown to decrease inflammation, increase fat loss, and build muscle. I take Controlled Labs Oximega Fish Oil Capsules.
3. Glucosamine. Crossfit is a high-impact sport and the pain inflicted on your joints can be long lived. Glucosamine helps keep the cartilage in joints healthy and has shown to decrease joint inflammation. I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin ES by Now.
4. BCAA’s. Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) increase energy and endurance, decrease post-workout soreness, and build muscle. I take Tri-Pep by Metabolic Nutrition.
5. Creatine. Creatine increases muscular endurance, aids in muscle recovery and decreases serum levels of myostatin which leads to greater lean muscle mass. Admittedly, I am new to creatine, but have noticed quite a difference already using it. I take Creatine-Glycerol-Phosphate (C.G.P.) by Metabolic Nutrition.
6. Glutamine. Glutamine reduces muscle tissue breakdown and increases protein metabolism. When you train, glutamine levels have been shown to drop a dramatic 50%. Taking a glutamine supplement immediately post-workout can help to decrease the effects of catabolism. I take T.A.G. by Metabolic Nutrition during or post-workout.
7. Protein. Protein is the building block of muscle. Consuming an easily digestible protein such as whey protein within 30 minutes of working out supplies the body with needed nutrients to repair muscle tissue. Post-workout, I consume a scoop of Protizyme Protein (Vanilla Cake and Chocolate Cake are my favorite!) with 1 cup of Almond Milk.
8. ZMA. ZMA is an all-natural supplement composed of Zinc, Magnesium Aspartate, and Vitamin B6. ZMA has proven to increase testosterone levels and promote muscle anabolism and relaxation. I take ZMA 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime, preferably on an empty stomach. It also helps you catch some Zzz’s!
Keep pushing Fitfam!
XoXo Absolute Diva
Questions, comments, or just want us to discuss a certain topic?
Email me at Diva@absolutenutritononline.com
Or tweet us @absnutriton with the hashtag #absolutediva